Saturday, November 19, 2016

In Thanksgiving

I woke up today in the best mood. My alarm went off at 6:30. I didn't mean to set an alarm, it is Saturday, but still, I felt wide awake and time to myself is precious, so I went with it and stayed up. As I lie in bed, enjoying the coziness of the covers and the prospect of a long unscheduled day ahead of me, I began to reflect on the goodness of life. Because life is good, isn't it?

It's good because I have people to love. I have five perfect children. I would not change a thing about them. They are who they are and I love them just like that.

I have a husband to care for, who cares for me. We look out for one another. We are partners, compatriots, and co-founders of a family. And (bonus!) sometimes we accidentally dress alike.

I have a mom and a dad, brothers and sisters. They love me and always will. I have people willing to drive ten hours, just to eat Thanksgiving dinner with my family. They think we're that great! 

I live on the most beautiful planet. I've never been to another, but I suspect it might be hard to beat Earth. It's got trees, a sky, an ever-changing moon and a unbelievable view of the stars, it has mountains-- rugged or rolling, but always majestic--rivers, clouds (!), and that gorgeous South Carolina autumn morning mist, that lies low over the fields and ponds during the quiet early hours. 

I get to eat food, which is the best. I get to drink Starbucks salted caramel hot chocolate. I get to eat avocado toast with grape tomatoes and cracked black pepper. Darron makes the best salmon and and Los Compadres restaurant makes the best pecan burritos. 

I live in a sturdy, beautiful, charming house. It has a heater for winter and an AC for summer. It has a bathroom and one to spare. It's a place where my family can hang out, do homework, play the piano and XBox, eat meals, and read books. I can feather it and make it as cozy as I like. 

I have friends who care for me. Friends who text or call or ask how I am doing. I have friends who let me do things for them. They laugh with me, they comfort me, and we practice being humans together.

I have a group of eight high schoolers who meet with me every morning at 6:30 to study the scriptures together. They listen to me and share little pieces of their own lives with each other and remind me that once I was just like them. And that I still kind of am.

I am surrounded by people and their goodness. The news and media feeds may tell me that people are horrible and people are cruel and people hate me because I am different from them. But you know what? When I turn off the news and I don't read the media feeds and I go out of my house and interact with actual people--when I go to the grocery store and I visit my children's schools and I go to church and I walk downtown with my family, I see that the news and the media are dead wrong. People are lovely. People are friendly. They smile at me. They hold doors for me to walk through and thank me when I do the same for them. They speak kindly to my children and they let me say hello to theirs. They ask me how I'm doing and they respond to me when I ask the same. 

I have confidence in the future. When I think about God and His wisdom and love and mercy, the fears and worries I tend to snatch up and hold on to dissipate. They ease their clutch on my heart and I understand that everything truly will work out. When I hear that I should pull my kids out of school or prepare for the imminent collapse of the world I remember that God has been in charge a lot longer than we humans think we've been. He knows what to do. He can tell me what is true and what is real and give me confidence to act on truth and reality.

I have faith in Jesus Christ. When things seem dark, I remember that He is the light of the world. Because of Him, I have a family, friends, a world to live on, food to eat, people to love, hope for the future. He is the one sure rock of faith and I will continue to cling to Him. 

This morning my heart awoke full of thanksgiving and isn't that a wonderful thing? I wish for you all a happy Thanksgiving season, holiday, meal, and heart. 



4 comments:

  1. You have always been able to beautifully express your feelings with words. I too see so much good in people. We have so much for which to be thankful. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your post! Great reminder is this world of constant media.

    ReplyDelete